Saturday 27 October 2007

Cultural Highlights of Odense

Located in Denmark's garden island Funen. Odense is also the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen and Denmark's third largest city in terms of population.



First up is the Hans Christian Andersen museum which is a must-see, number one tourist attraction of Odense. Photos are below. Personally my childhood was more about TV than fairytales, so I did not really know what made me so interested in knowing more about HCA. Perhaps to know how legends are made, or to know how his fairytales have conquered over 150 language barriers, or maybe just the deep desire to dwell in imagination and fantasy of a childlike sort.




(Above): Papercuts, which he did as he was regaling children with his stories.


It is at this point where I apologise to all past Mandarin teachers/tutors I have had, for my inability to even pronounce the translation of Nightingale. If I had to guess it would be ye4 ying1. I laid down my Chinese Broadsword, Pen and Brush in 2000, so give me a break.

AND... Travis!



Whats this got to do with Denmark? Nothing. They're a Scottish Band. But they were actually the reason I bothered going to Odense, Funen, Denmark in the first place. It was an awesome concert, the cover band was an alternative Danish emo rock band Ave; you can listen to their music on their myspace website here.

Showmanship was good, vocals were great and they played all my favourite songs, and some which would later add to my list of favourite songs. Managed to get a few short clips of Selfish Jean, Love Will Come Through and Flowers in the Window with my trusty Canon.


The rest of the photos are just the nice scenery on the second day, while we were biking and exploring. Got to watch the strange Everton - Liverpool derby match as well but thats not worth blogging. Or not. Liverpool scored two penalties (duh) and the only goal they scored that was not a penalty was an own goal (clearance gone horribly wrong). Haha. Everton should have won. Liverpool could not even put a goal through when Everton was reduced to 9 men.




All thats left for me to visit in Denmark is probably Skagen for the meeting of the seas, and Frederikshavn to take a ferry out =)

No comments: