Saturday 23 February 2008

Self-Interview

Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fire -- Francois La Rochefoucauld

This post shall take the form of an interview, just for fun.

Q: I see that you have not updated your blog for some time. Where have you been?

A: Well many things have been going on but nothing particularly blog-worthy. I've stayed put in Aarhus for the longest time ever, planning trips, going for classes, chilling with people - enjoying myself in a nice, easy way.

Q: Now that Chinese New Year is long over, how was it like spending it in Aarhus?

A: It was a little strange and disconcerting. No fireworks, no visiting relatives, no mahjong. And there's just no real Chinese restaurant in Aarhus - just as an idea, Chinese cuisine here consists of dubious rice and noodles, spring rolls, fried shrimp rolled in flour, fried chicken pieces rolled in flour, prawn crackers, and sweet and sour sauce. However, I did do the usual like get a haircut, wear new clothes, observe silly rituals which no European would understand. Gotta keep up with tradition!

Q: You did not decide to travel during that period?

A: Yeah not really. I figured everywhere else would be more or less the same. Besides, I had exams till late Jan so I could not do much planning for a trip. It was either to return to Singapore, or suck it up and stay put.

Q: How is it with you and travelling in general then?

A: I suppose every exchange student has the urge to travel, some more than others. I do like to take my time with places, and I have long given up the thought of visiting every part of Europe in my year here. A combination of terribly cold weather, over-travelling, and being on a budget after the last vacation has also made me just want to laze in Aarhus for a while longer.

But on that last note, I will be headed to Stockholm in a few days, if everything goes well.

Q: Any last words for your loyal readers?

A: I urge all those who are feeling lonely and homesick to go ahead and read A Prison Diary by Jeffrey Archer from your local English bookstore/library, if any. Things could certainly be worse :)


As a parting gift, this video was brought to my attention on the first lesson of Comparative Constitutional Law, which happened to be the first day of CNY.

No comments: