Wednesday 12 December 2007

More on Spain

The Mau Travel Fund is always open for donations. Feeling a little generous this festive season? Big year end bonus and feel like sharing the love? Contributors will receive a nice big postcard from an exotic city of Mau's choice. Especially generous donors will get signed glossies of any photo on this website.

Commercial break over. More on Spain.



First day in Madrid, Spain! Got out of the Sol Metro Station to find... Aberdeen Football Club was in town for the UEFA match against Atletico Madrid (guess what, its not ALWAYS about Real Madrid). Loyal fans kicking a ball around. You could imagine how disorientating it was to be me.

Conveniently marked out in the photo is El Oso y el Madroño, statue of a bear and a strawberry tree. Symbol of Madrid.



Took this in Chueca. Gay friendly neighbourhood. Haha. But also great shopping district (big spenders should look into Salamanca district. Or hell, fly to London, Paris, Milan). Start here, walk towards Gran Via, then along Gran Via, turn into Fuencarrel and walk that stretch. Just to clarify, Zara's not fantastically cheap in Spain, perhaps due to the 16% IVA (tax). I did buy a pair of jeans, just not ten pairs of jeans, five shirts etcetc.



Plaza Mayor. There was a small time bazaar / Christmas market in the day.



Best toilet signs I've seen. User friendly, straight to the point.



Dinner was from 11pm to 2am. Then headed for some party until 5am. Took the first metro at 6am home to pack my bags. Headed out again to catch my 7.30am bus to San Sebastian. Great success! Meal timings in Spain are a "little" different from the rest of the world.



Yes Kyle I hate you too. I'm so glad you're on exchange in the country just North of me. Wait... whats new?

This was us arriving at Seville early Friday morning with too little sleep. Apparently we hit the jackpot going Spain because it was the Constitution Day on Thursday, and a Bank holiday on Saturday. We had to hunt down a hostel to sleep in that night, which Oasis Backpackers found for us in the form of Seville Urbany.

Also, somehow or other I left my Student ID at Oasis Backpackers the next day and at the time of writing they're preparing to mail my ID back to me in Denmark. What a fantastic place! What a forgetful moron I am!



Spanish Kopi Tiam. Churros and thick chocolate instead of kaya toast and kopi.



Traditional Flamenco in Seville, Andalucia. I'm not too great with the history and politics in Spain, nor do I want to be involved, but lets just say that flamenco originated from this region first. It was a lovely performance; the dancers were skilled, graceful, good looking.



And this is the Plaza de España in Seville, planet of Naboo in Star Wars Episode II for the Star Wars fans like myself. Very, very, very nice.

BIG THANKS to Liz Wu for letting me set up camp at her place in Madrid for several days, and for being the excellent hostess/tour guide/gourmet that she is. Don't blush now!

No comments: